Patients/residents admitted to a VCH facility with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should be restricted to their room and not participate in group activities until COVID-19 is ruled out or as directed by IPAC.
Patient/resident movement and transport should be restricted to essential diagnostic tests and therapeutic treatments. Transfer within and between facilities should be avoided unless medically indicated, as this may place others at risk for exposure.
If transfer is medically indicated:
- Notify Infection Prevention and Control and the receiving unit/department
- Provide clean clothes/gown/bedding on leaving their room
- Assist patient/resident with donning a procedure mask and performing hand hygiene on leaving their room
- Designate a staff member to accompany patient/resident
- Accompanying staff member should use Droplet and Contact Precautions when in patient room, then remove personal protective equipment (PPE) on exit from the room and perform hand hygiene. Don clean PPE for transport (within 1 meter of patient).
Adapted from PHAC (2020) Infection prevention and control for coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Interim guidance for acute healthcare settings